Thursday, May 24, 2007

Two days left!!!!

Everyday this week I have come home exhausted and drained. Tonight was my first night getting in before 7:00 PM. I am so drained that I can hardly make the drive home. I close my eyes and rest while sitting in the drive thru. It seems like the end of the school term is just dragging and dragging and dragging and there is still tons of work to do. We’ve got put grades in the computer system AND average them manually. Complete a failure lists, turn in this and that, go through exit interviews with reflections and the list goes on and on and on. Calgon take me away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The Drama Queen saga continues
She came to me today and apologized. I accepted her apology. She said that it really bothered her that she had disrespected me in such a way. She doesn't believe in treating adults like that, but she had so much on her. She said that she's under a lot of stress and that was simply her breaking point. I explained that life beyond high school will treat her bad on a different level and she'd can't respond the way she did to this. She said her teammates were angry with her for quitting. Drama Queen wants back on the team. I told her I would have to think about it. The answer is no because it will set the wrong example. No matter how badly we need her. I pray I making the right decision.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Cheaters
We’ve been having final exams this week & a freshman teacher thing happened to me. The kids stole the key to my test and cheated. Because we have such a GREAT discipline program, we can’t make the students take the test again without proof—crib sheet or visually seeing them—even though another student who saw them turned it in. What kind of honor policy is this. Two of the students would have failed the class without making such high scores on the exam. I am disappointed that there was nothing more that could be done. I strongly believe that no bad deed goes unpunished and they will get theirs in another way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Cry Babies
In one of my classes, I scored the exams while they were still in the class and was able to give them their final grades. In this class, I only had 2 to fail. One begged and begged me for extra credit. I said no amount of extra credit was going get him from a 60 to 70 on a semester grade. It just couldn’t happen. The other girl started crying when she found out she had a 65 for a semester grade. She wanted me to give her all 5 points. I explained it was just too many points.

After this I decided, I would give no more students final grades. I am not emotionally equipped to handle the reactions of students. I say let them find out when they are home over the summer and I’m not around to discuss it. Students from my other classes came in to find out their grades, I lied and said I wasn’t finished yet. My last period, knew I was finished and after I explained the crying situation, they still wanted to know their grades. I refused, plain and simple. I know this is all apart of the job--but I'm still going to avoid it.

9 comments:

HappyChyck said...

I've been in similar situations with drama casts. Once I kicked actor out of practice because of disrespect, but when he came back with an apology, I allowed him back, but he had to be on his best behavior. Another time I had to boot a girl out for various reasons, which mostly included not showing up to practice and not keeping her grades up. It put the whole cast in a bad position, and we ended up replacing her with someone nowhere near as good. There does come a time where you have to draw the line.

I hope things work out well. I don't know a coach who doesn't say that the most important quality in an athlete is someone who is coachable.

Lara said...

i don't blame you for not wanting to give them the grades. i don't think i could handle that kind of reaction either. i shudder just thinking about it...

Anonymous said...

When I hand back grades for tests, projects, etc. I one) don't hand them out until the end of the period and two) tell them that they have to wait 24 hours before they can approach me about their grades. This way their emotions will have subsided and they will be able to think rationally about the grade given them. Half the time they just see the grade but don't look at their papers to see WHY they got those grades.

The best thing is to be firm. Especially when giving out progress reports and such. Every time students come up to me and say "Well I turned that in." No, you didn't or else there would be a checkmark in my book. I tell my students to hold on to all of their work for each grading period so that if I happen to make a mistake they have proof.

Finally, I've had students cry IN THE MIDDLE of taking a test. Why? Because no matter how many warnings I've thrown at them to study because the test is hard, they never believe me.

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like the last few days can be a problem. I wanted to let you know that I have found a new job! It is in a tradional high school and I am so looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

That cheating thing would be driving me NUTS. Absolutely insane.
It's because of stuff like that I am considering both adding participation points next year (there's my wiggle room) AND weighting them. I don't do either right now, and I think it would be wise to incorporate them for next year.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely bizarre the world of high school grading. Congratulations on a break well deserved! I've got another 7 weeks with these third graders, then I immediately pick up a new set of kids the next week. It's just different here.

Anonymous said...

Working at the middle school level, I don't get a lot of the crying...similar to your test cheaters, my students will promote to 8th grade regardless of passing my class or not. As a fellow Christian in my second year of teaching, I'm wondering what you do to avoid getting angry with students when they make unwise choices and then either blame you or expect you to clean up their mess...

Bellezza said...

I'm glad my third graders aren't terribly concerned about grades, yet. But, what they lack in interest, they're parents make up for!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your thoughts. I definately know I slacked A LOT in praying for my students this year. I think this made a huge difference, and I'm looking forward to starting next year off right. Blogging really seems like its going to help, and its nice to know there's an immense number of other teachers out there coping in the same way. See you around and happy summer break!