Sunday, May 13, 2007

Teachers Appreciation & Mothers Day

I was appreciated for Teacher Appreciation Week by the administration at our school. I was surprised b/c I expected the typical donuts, yogurt and bagel breakfast at school on Friday morning. Honestly, I was kind of frustrated when I arrived and there was no breakfast. Instead, they gave us a steak lunch. It was really nice, plus we were able go home after we had finished our lunch. In addition, we got a key chain & nice pen. These were nice perks. It feels like someone appreciates the work that I do at my school. Also, on Thursday, one of my student’s parents brought all of his teachers a nice lunch to school. It was unexpected and very nice, I thanked the student. He was kind of bashful about the whole thing.

It is nice to be celebrated once in a while. I guess that’s what Mother’s Day is all about . . .and I’m beginning to feel a wave of guilt b/c I didn’t do anything “special” for my mother today. I’ve done things all throughout this year for my mom, so I didn’t see the point in sending her flowers or anything b/c she gets other things at other times. I don’t like sending flowers, b/c I feel like they are a waste of money. I like to give practical gifts, things people can use—beside my mother doesn’t need anymore knick knacks or stuff, her house has enough of that stuff now. So I didn’t really see the point in getting anything. I guess as I reflect, I see that it is simply about being appreciated; it’s the thought. I wish someone had told me this a week ago. She would have felt more appreciated today. How is it that I can be woman and not realize these things? I really feel like should know better.

As I was chatting with my friend yesterday and I was explaining my philosophy about these type of days, she got really frustrated with me. My rationale was that my brother never does anything for any day, so why should I, just b/c I am the girl child. His lack of sensitivity to the holidays is never questioned. It seems like he gets off easy b/c he is cheap and b/c he’s guy. I don’t get that pleasure, EVER! It seems like I’m just supposed to know what to do all the time. When he is rude or never calls or is just plain lazy, it is accepted. I despise this double standard. How come we as women can’t care? How come (especially in the south) we can't be rude? Why do WE always have to remember? I know that it sounds like I am making excuses and playing the blame game for my insensitivity or lack of warmth, but . . . . oh, hell, I’ll just send something online now & this conversation can end and my guilt, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We got a nice lunch at our school, too. Didn't get to leave early, though. Am jealous! And our pens fell apart within five minutes of use.

You left a comment at my site asking if I had a lesson plan for my Lord of the Flies introduction lesson. Unfortunately, I don't really keep formal records of lessons. The entry on Teacher Jane is probably the closest thing to an actual lesson I've got. Let me know if I can help in any other way...

Thanks for stopping by!

Lara said...

i think there a lot of ways to show appreciation. i didn't get anything for my mother this year, because it's been a very busy week for me. but she knows i love her. i called her today, and i write blog posts talking about how awesome she is. i guess i don't appreciate her any more today than ever - i just try to appreciate her all the time. :)