Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The last bell has rang . . .

FOR THE STUDENTS. You would think I’d have massive amounts of time to post the events of my day or reflect on the success of my year. Sadly, this is not true. I am under these massive amounts of paper while making final decisions about grades and reflecting for my administration. On top of that I’m finishing paperwork for my permanent license. It feels like this school year will never end. I love the end of the year b/c you can look forward to fresh starts—and begin preparing for something new.



The picture is what my kids spent their last day doing. In one class, only 2 students showed up. I had all my classes complete reflections which I’ll share on another day in another posting. They were great & funny & sweet. I’m going to miss these students.






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the midst of all the paperwork, I seemed to have gotten my principal chewed out. The district office called and chewed Principal out for something I said to a parent. As I look back on the events, really I don’t think that I did anything wrong—well, maybe. Student C’s mom went to the district office. I have no idea why, I went over and beyond on how to the help this student. At any rate, Mrs. C told them that I said the only reason I gave her child make up work was b/c Principal told me to. This is true. Apparently, I said this to the child, too. I do not recall this, but I might have because I was so angry about the whole thing. Principal got chewed out b/c I said this.

I don’t quite understand the ramifications of all of this and why it was so bad. However, Principal said that I could never say things like this again to a child. It has something to do with professionalism. I explained to Principal that what we were doing to pass this child along was unethical especially since the student has no learning disabilities or a 504 (I hope called the name of it right). Student C is just as bright as any other child in my class. Coming to school regularly is the problem. Principal said that she defended me and my actions, but I don’t understand where the problem is and why I needed to be defended. Why should this student receive special treatment? No other child, except those in SPED program, had accommodations like this.

It is these situations that make me grow disillusions with teaching. However, the problem is that the student is failing ALL classes, not just mine. So what am I to do? They have tenure; I don’t. So here’s another injustice: A student passed a class without earning it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On the upside, I’m finished with grades. All I need to do is complete some last bits of paperwork and clean up my room. YIIIPPPPPEEEE!!!

3 comments:

Jennifer Kennedy said...

Although the student failed, he or she has passed to the next grade?? What is she learning from this situation? I can get away with doing nothing and still move on??

Anonymous said...

Well, that sucks about the principal. perfect example of how adding participation into a grade could do wonders for these situations.

HappyChyck said...

I think I can understand why you said was wrong. We should not be honest with our students--especially if they live in a delusional little world where everything revolves around them. It would be a sad thing if you gave the student a reality check!

Sometimes we are so powerless to actually be fair and ethical. I always like to make a big deal about times when I must make unreasonable concessions.

Happy summer!