Monday, April 30, 2007

Its 2 A.M. . . .

And I’m not sleep!!!! I don’t know whether it is because I am anxious about tomorrow or I slept too much this weekend. Who knows?

This week is testing week. My kids will appreciate it. It means they will get a much needed break from homework and papers and it means school will be out soon. I have plans to watch and discuss the film “Luther” and “Hotel Rwanda” for my World History classes. I am also thinking about the “Last King of Scotland.” I’ve got to watch it. Next week, we will start the last thing we are covering for the school year: the new world, age of exploration and scientific revolution. Then, we will go into review mode b/c there will be no text books. Yep, the year is winding down.

On Friday, I was lucky enough to break up a boy fight! LOL. Really, I stepped in between two boys who were going to come to blows. I like these kind of fights b/c they realized they didn’t want to fight with me in between them. And I got to pin someone down. LOL. For real, it’s a dangerous situation and I don’t know why did not run from it. I thought it was just students being usually loud in between classes. When I stepped out to see what was going on, it looked like two of them were going to lunge at each other. I yelled at them to stop it. I pushed on to one side and grabbed the other and pinned him against the work table in my classroom. Its funny, all of the boys are taller than I am, seeing that I’m only 5’1. After the fact, I find out that it was four boys planning to jump this boy I had pinned down.

I hate to say it again, I prefer boy fights to girl fights b/c the boys are respectful when a teacher is holding them down. Girls tend to fight over you. They will hit you to get at the other girl, again. The fight that I broke up earlier this school year, these girls fought with me in between them. After they had been restrained, one girl jumped out of the arms of the restrainer to pull the last track of weave out of the other girl’s hair. Crazy, I know but that’s the way they are—they have to have last say.

I’m looking forward to gymnastics tomorrow!!! I am soooo excited about what the girls have been doing in practice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I am quite impressed at your abilities. Are you planning a vacation this summer? You sound like you need one. I am glad to know we have teachers who really care and worry about the students. See ya later. Trish

Lara said...

fights scare me. i've never even known of one to happen at my school, let alone had to break one up. but i've read about multiple other teacher bloggers who have. i don't know what i would do if that happened, but i hope i'd be willing to step in and be responsible. good job to you for doing so. :)