Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Rainy Day

It rained all day, but it wasn’t a bad day.

So after my day off, I came back in a pretty good mood, but it didn’t take long for it to turn sour. I kicked a smart-mouthed kid out my room with in 5 minutes of the day starting. I get so tired of saying “be quiet” all day, So that I can talk and probably answer the question that the kid was going to ask in the first place. I’ve had enough of this school year and I’m tired of negotiating, so my favorite response is : “you got a choice, you can do it my way or get out.” I know I don’t sound like a good teacher, but I’m tired of begging.

My classes were supposed to watch videos this week. In law, they are watching 12 angry men and in W. Hist, the 6 wives of Henry VIII. None of my classes are remotely interested in these videos. I thought it would be a nice break for both of us, b/c last week was hectic. Didn’t work, most of them couldn’t stay awake, sooooo I guess it’ll be book work and lecture tomorrow. Pitty.

Today was report card day. I was expecting tons of students (as usual) to stop by my classroom after school to ask why they received the grades they did. Not one showed up. I am surprised. For a change, I gave kids EXACTLY what they earned. For example, some students got 27 , 35 or even 12. Our school said that we should NEVER give a child below a 50 if we don’t have strict documentation—meaning we saved their work and called their parents. I wanted to see what would happen if I didn’t give children 50s. Nothing. No one from the administration said anything. Not one of the children said anything. I’ll wait to hear from the parents.

Next week is our big testing week and the asst principal told me today that I would be protoctoring all next week. That means I am going to loose an entire week of teaching time and I need to cover 3 more chapters in World History before the end of the year. Additionally, what do I do with the kids I will have in class for the second half of the day? Maybe I should show a good film, maybe something to do with a current issue. Any suggestions?

No comments: