Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Monday’s are LONGGGG days

I was late for work again, for the 4th time this school year. I know could have gone to bed earlier the night before, but after you REALLY rest up Saturday, its almost impossible to pull yourself from the bed on Monday morning. So I had this day of semi engaging lessons planed for my kids to help review them for a test. (I’ll talk about those in a moment) Then I had to run around and get prepared for my sub and then the cheer squad has group gymnastics from 4-6 after conditioning practice. I get home around 7:30, have a bite to eat and drop. Ex: I awakened this morning with the lights on; computer laying on my bed with the lid still up and a weird pain in my foot. Probably from kicking something or stepping on something while sleep walking. I am grateful for this personal day. It was much needed.

So today I decided to play a review game where I play the show host asking questions. The students work in groups with the notes and textbooks to come up with the answers. The first group to get their answer puts it on a mini whiteboard and puts on the sill of the real white board at the front of the room. The kids love it b/c they can get up out of their seats and they LOVE to win. The only problem with this game is that it doesn’t work well with my 7th pd. There are only about 3 or 4 kids who always know the answers, b/c they study hard, do all the homework and actively participate in Q & A and lecture discussions. Though I may have picked the groups at random (from numbered cards while entering the classroom), with the “Monday” absences only 2 of the people who are diligent learners where there and ended up in the same group. It became clear early on, that they were going to slaughter the other students. The other students QUIT playing about halfway through. It was sad. What should I have done? They other students were upset b/c it appeared that group knew the answers before I finished the questions. With no cheating involved, the kids could feel the direction of the question. What can I do differently in the future? (Desperately seeking help from other teachers)

Drama, Drama, Drama
Secondly, I have an issue that keeps arising on my cheer squad. I have a little girl that has a flair for the dramatic. Everyone believes that she does things to get attention, including the other kids. Yesterday, she had an injury at practice which no one gave attention to including me. I didn’t know she was hurt. I saw her laying in the floor and though simply “she’s laying in the floor, again” b/c I had another girl that when coming out of the stunt got hit. This injury was pressing in my book. Well she gets angry and starts yelling after about five minutes later that no one came to see about her when she got hurt. She ranted and raved, she said she was upset b/c no one was concerned about her injury. I told her no one knew about her injury. She said that people saw her crying and did nothing. I apologized explaining that I didn’t know she was hurt. She then told me she was going to quit the team. I asked why. She said her family really didn’t have the money for it and with being a senior and all etc. She never really said that it was b/c she felt isolated, alone and rejected from the squad. But, I could tell. I didn’t say anything I just listened. I would be okay, if she quit. Honestly, I believe that she could be one of the best cheerleaders, but the drama is too much for me. I can live with peace for a while.

I feel like I have so much more to say but I’ll have to save it b/c I’ve been on here a while.

1 comment:

Lara said...

ah yes, the drama queens. what bothers me most is that it's just so hard to tell when it really is something serious with them, as opposed to just a desire for attention. and it's time-consuming the spend all your time giving in to their drama when it's only real about 10% of the time. i know just what you mean about that.

thanks for visiting my place! glad to meet someone new. :)