Thursday, July 05, 2007

TT #5: Sincere Apologies with Comments

I want to apologize to all of you for my delay in blogging (reading and comment on your stuff) this week I realized I was very behind when my bloglines reflected that I had 61 posts to read. I guess I’ve been enjoying my vacation and I haven’t posted as many comments as I normally do and I haven’t responded to many of you who have commented on my blog. So, here are my apologies & responses in one big swoop. (After writing it I realized, it is also a shameless post of blogs I LOVE to read. I guess I'm hoping that you will discover them & enjoy them as much as I do!)



Responses and thoughts that should have
gone out a LONG time ago.
  1. To Everone. Thank you to EVERY ONE who gave me well wishes on my Blogiversary. It made me feel good. I’m glad that you are enjoying my site.
  2. To School Teacher. Thank you for starting another important dialogue with your blog post on the Supreme Court recent decision. I try not to engage in political discussions on this blog, but I do talk about race. But something about this teacher’s post on the supreme court's ruling struck a cord with me. I have left a LONG response. Engage in this dialogue. It is SO very worth it! I think it will help everyone think about where we are at in this country.
  3. To Frum Teacher--Thank you showing me that a lot of things are universal in teaching. I didn’t realize that the educators in Europe experience the same things we do. P.S. Take one thing at a time—don’t make too many goals b/c you want to be successful at something. Classroom management was something I struggled a lot with my first year. So that’s all I concentrated on my 2nd year, I don’t think it was a bad trade off.
  4. To Frum Teacher--part 2. The US is a good example of a democracy, but unfortunately there are still racial tensions from 200 years of slavery and 50 years of Jim Crow. It is not all over the country, I personally believe that exists mostly in the South. I think the reason is still here is the economic/class disparity among folks living in the South. Please don’t stop teaching about what a great democracy we have here, it is just that we still have things we need to work on
  5. To Mrs. BlueBird. Thank you for the recommendation on Zike’s book. I tried to get it locally but didn’t find it at the teacher supply store. I will be ordering one or two of her things. I think this will help with my essay writing. I could have them write paragraphs from these things. I saw some samples of foldables at other websites—this a great strategy I’ll be incorporating this year. YOU ROCK!!!!
  6. To Betsy. Thank You, you gave me so much information! I went to the resource center at the local university and found a book about writing research papers that 11th graders in our district use. The problem I think that will be an issue is simple paragraph writing. I’ve got to start from there. I’m worried about it. But I’m going to keep looking. I remembered reading Native Son when I was in high school and I remembered how much I loved it. When I looked at in the bookstore, I was thinking about using the abridged version. I don’t know that they will give me access to my students reading scores. If they do, I will have to look them up individually, they are not kept in any type of computer system where teachers can just have access to them. I never thought much about short stories. GREAT IDEA. Now, I’ve got to get to library to find some. I might do that instead of Native Son.
  7. To Betsy part 2. I hate our district’s motto, (I can’t put it on here, b/c if I did everyone would know where I worked). We are supposed to being our kids a college prep education. The idea is that the education we give them should prepare all students for college whether they want to go or not. I like that every student is "supposed" to be getting a great education, but I hate that we don’t promote other alternatives. Not everyone is college material. However, it is all we seem to talk about. And you can get a decent / good job with vocational schools. My hair stylist makes more money than I do.
  8. To EricThanks for pushing me in a new blogging direction. A friend helped me come up with that title. I was telling her that blogging is like therapy. . .and that I was playing with Therapy for A Third Year Teacher. And I guess, in her mind, she saw me laying on someone’s couch. . . lol, telling all my business. Although, I’m giving you a hard time, I’m glad that I’m moving up in the teaching world. LOL.
  9. To Bethany—I’m soooo sorry I didn’t get to read your post b/c you lost it. I have gotten to the point where I type most of my stuff in word and then cut and paste it. Do you have a blog? I would love to add it to the list of ones I read daily.
  10. To Joel--Thanks for keeping me company on aim from time to time. I think that you are organization king. I've learned a few things that will help keep my desk from looking like "who did it and what for" in the next academic year.
  11. To City Teacher and Third Grade Teacher--Teachers hoard stuff b/c we like stuff. We are afraid that we won't get anymore of whatever it is. Or, we might use it again. Or, if we throw it away, we might have to buy a new one. We like stuff--Plain and Simple.
  12. To Leesepea--Thank you for reminding me how blessed I am. Your AC situation definitely makes me appreciate that my thermostat is set at 68.
  13. To America. I am not the most patriotic person, as you will see below. But A Belated Happy Independence Day to you.





    I Am 52% American


    Most times I am proud to be an American.
    Though sometimes the good ole US of A makes me cringe
    Still, I know there's no place better suited to be my home.
    I love your freedom and no one's going to take it away from me!




Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

1. Thirteen Favorite Movies by Eric

2. Thirteen Places In America I Have Been To by Toni

(Leave your link in the comments & I'll post it here)

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!






7 comments:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

How very clever of you to use your TT as a thank-you forum! I'm sure the "thankees" will be impressed.

Anonymous said...

I am honored to have been mentioned and thank you. It is always fun to read your blog.

By the way, I've been told to do my own Thursday Thirteen. So check it out! I don't even know if how I am doing it is right.

Midwest Teacher said...

I may not always comment, but I do try to come read every day. S/x I'm just too lazy to log in. Bleagh. I'm very tempted to do Thursday 13...but not sure I could come up w/ 13 diff things each week. :-)

Athena said...

I love your blog. I found it two days ago. I am usually a lurker. I love your graphic! Congrads on your anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for mentioning me. I'm glad I can help you. I am anxious to see what you're able to do with the blog format. Let me know if you have any questions or want help with layout or whatever. That graphic really is cool, huh? :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Proverbs16Three! Thanks and happy to meet you!

Nice site. I will definitely ad you to my blogroll and read more this weekend.

BTW, I took the "How American Are You Quiz" and it stated that I'm 55% American. I guess we share some similar points of view.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the mention! And I have to apologize too. This week, my posting and commenting is non-existent. I like your new title btw.