Saturday, August 19, 2006

My first week at school

It never occurred to me that I wouldn’t have time to post. I was thinking I could journal a little bit everyday; but the reality is I just don’t have time. When I get home from work, I’m wiped and I’m sleep around ten.

My first week was fun. I enjoy teaching my classes. And my classroom is very tidy right now. I’ve gotten many compliments on the set up of my classroom and that makes me feel good. Especially, since I spent many late nights at school. Sometimes my principal had to kick me out. The librarian said that my classroom was “very inviting.” The sad thing is I still have plenty of things to hang up and I want to start a cheer bulletin board.

Our school system had some problems with the scheduling program and b/c of that the kids schedules were all messed up. So my classes will change next week and I’ll probably do procedures for the next two weeks. Additionally, the air conditioners in most of the classrooms are not working. . . so the week has been miserable for the students. They came to my classroom and worked on mine and it seems that might have a cool room next week. That is my prayer!!!

The first week with the kids was very uneventful. I’ve been drilling, drilling, drilling, drilling my procedures. And they have their first test on Tuesday. Yes, a test over my procedures. I want to make sure they know what I expect at all times, so that I can really do my job teaching. My classes have been very quiet b/c I have let them know that I don’t like noise. . .right now, I think they are a little intimidated—I have a lot of freshman. What really helps is when you have upper classmen who have had me before. . .they back up the fact that you need to do the work in order to pass.

This week I did have to have one teacher-student conference because I got one student who wants to run my class and talk when ever he pleases. I told him that that wouldn’t happen in my classroom and he should get under control immediately.

No comments: